Monday, December 5, 2011

Art Journaling Classes (especially) for Melissa @ CIL

...this is the best I can do with such short notice--if you need more, it's not a problem at all, I will just need a bit more time =)


 The pictures above and below are typical examples of some of the supplies I use for art journaling: paper of some sort, usually in a notebook-type format which I will provide some samples to choose from if anyone wants. Water colors, paint pots, acrylic paints, brushes, scissors, hot glue gun, water bottle, hairdryer, crayons, any type of news paper, A2 Observer, magazines, maps, old patterns, napkins, yarns, fibers, buttons, beads, all sorts of "found objects"--there are no boundaries or parameters--truly ANYTHING you want to include is OK
 ...anything you want to add to your art journal personalizes it--customizes it!
 I want to show my class how they can FREE themselves by incorporating art journaling into their everyday life--or at least every week life--I know we're all busy, but hey, it's free, you make the rules and EVERYONE will discover the artist within themselves. My role will be to help them do just that! Above is a simple page with a pencil sketch of some of my vintage buttons (I have a passion for collecting AND using vintage buttons in my art projects!), then I used a pen with india ink for permanancy and inked it in and finally water colored it--not perfect, but that suits me--I'm not perfect!!
 ...just another couple of pages in one of my art journals...
 ...and another, while my sister and I sat in the shade next to Lily pond reading and soaking up the wonderful, balmy day...
 Above is yet another art journal. It started out as a simple cardboard covered notebook, that is, until I got my hands on it! This cover is several layers including pages from books and maps, acrylic paint, stringy yarn and shiny beads among other embellishments!! The following few pages from this art journal.

 There are no rules!!
 Above is yet another art journal--I have several ongoing--it's not my style to just have one, I like the variety...you can see the cover of this one is primarily pastings from magazines...also, I hot glued some fabric I like a lot!!
 ...random pages inside this one...
 ...more...
 ...and more...
...and again...
 ...and yet again...the picture above is actually an idea I had for an art quilt early last summer. In fact, one of my recent blog posts shows the picture of the final project. But, it began its life, first in my imagination, then on the pages of one of my art journals....
 I sometimes purchase at a minimal cost, hard paged kids books from yard sales and the used stores around town. I then go through the pages and cover the existing pictures and print with random splotches of color--to give me a base to begin art journaling on. It's pretty cool to leave bits and pieces of the original print and illustrations--it adds to the depth I'm going for. Remember--no rules!!!
 The above photo is an example of the cover of one I altered...not yet finished...below is the stack of art journals I'm currently in the process of filling...

These two I purchased online, I reserve specifically for my watercolor art. I want to work towards teaching the students to draw and watercolor, too. EVERYONE is capable and will be freed by the process and then the sky is the limit--they just don't know that yet...that's why I want to begin with collaging and "whatever" art journals first, then I can warm them towards watercolor =)
This is all I have for now--I'm leaving for work soon, but would love it if you left me a message on this posting to let me know that you got it. Also, it would be great if you clicked the blue button on the top right to "join" then you can get updates--like I did for CIL FB page!! Talk to you soon. Thanks so much for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment