Sunday, November 30, 2014

Happy 50th AND making scrappy fabrics

 
I made a photo memory quilt for a friends 50th wedding anniversary. I've never done anything like this before, and was actually quite pleased at the end result...
It was hard to get a good photo though, the lighting wasn't the greatest--wish I had taken it at home first...also, you might notice, I couldn't get a shot without the balloon ribbons...oh well, it WAS a success =)
 ...then it was time to begin putting some scraps together to make some...fabrics...
 ...putting the scraps together, stitching with zig-zag or other simple but decorative stitches makes the prettiest swatches...those later become...
bohemian bags, nap throws, journal covers, clutches, and more...


I start out with an old quilt or bedspread--I prefer to recycle from a thrift shop or similar, and trim it into manageable pieces, usually about the size of a crib quilt or 3x3'. Of course, the first stop is the washing machine with bleach!!! Then I iron a handful of scraps...all sizes from minute to small and a little larger! If I can see color on it, I save it...
 

 

I then place a few pieces of fabric scraps on the bedspread, like a mosaic, sort of! Sometimes using a glue stick to tack corners, sometimes not...I stitch small sections at a time,

 --usually with a very loose zig-zag. I then stitch over the same area to adhere it more securely and "pretty-up" the piece!

 There are no rules...each piece really creates itself...evolves, it you will...

 I just pay attention to the fabric and watch the piece come to life...
 I actually used up a whole tub or tiny scraps making these swatches over the past couple of days...



 ...now I'm moving on to the bigger scraps...I have more than  one tub of those, so it should keep me busy for a while!!!

 I have a table at a Holiday Art show next weekend...I started sorting through my scraps a week or so ago with the intention of finding some cool scraps to embellish some of my bohemian bag--give them a "face-lift" for the show...
 ...guess I got a little side tracked...

I'll have to post some pictures of the couple of nap quilts I ended up making, and show off some of the shoulder bags--love what a few cuts of lace, velvet, beads and silks can do to change the entire appearance of last years bohemian bag!!!

Happy Creating! Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment